Day 65 – Wednesday – Marh 11, 2015 – Rangoon, Myanmar

Second day in Myanmar was a full day tour with Cruise Specialists to Bago – The Ancient Mon Capital. Unfortunately to reach Bago, we had to again travel through Rangoon with its unbelievable traffic. On the plus side, this gave me an opportunity to take some photos from the bus of the street life in this very hot, crowded, noisy, dusty city.


These truck/buses are the most common mode of transportation in Rangoon.


More foraging in the trash for treasures…

The different ethnic origins are obvious as you look at the people. Predominately you see Chinese and Indian features.

Construction work on a major mall. Note the bare feet and no safety devices on the pole scaffolding.


Once you get outside the city, you enter a country which is many years behind in development. One modern item which is frequently seen is the cell phone.

The atmosphere is full of dust, even on the paved roads. I can’t imagine what it will be like when the rain comes…

Typical homes outside the city. Myanmar has one of the highest discrepancies between the rich and the poor of any country. Although the government has moved away from military control, the “generals” as the guides and common people refer to them still control the vast majority of the country’s wealth.

Along one section of road, pottery was seen at every building.


A roadside café.

You see an interesting mix of written languages. English is not infrequent in the city, but is seen less often in the countryside.

A vendor making her way to a location to set up shop.

Enjoying lunch literally on the side of the street. You would see vendors with platters of corn on the cob and they look delicious.

After almost three hours of travel, we reached our first scheduled stop the Kyakhatwaing Monastery. This is the largest monastery in Lower Myanmar and one of the three largest monasteries in the country. This is a teaching Monastery where monks from all over Myanmar and other countries come to study.






Monks having the main meal of the day.

This is the kitchen where the dirty dishes are washed… doesn’t look like fun to me…


Here is where the food is cooked by a wood fire.


Inside the Monetary, you saw families, children and LOTS of dogs.



The “cream” seen on so many faces, especially children is plant material which is used as a sunscreen.


After visiting the Monastery, we traveled a short distance to our restaurant for lunch.

This little one was with some older boys who were begging outside the bus. Unfortunately, if you ever gave anyone (or everyone) something, you would NEVER be left along again. Our guide discouraged giving to the beggars, but it was hard not to.

Fixing a flat.

Most of the lighter skinned (non-Indian) residents were careful to avoid the sun.

We reached our lunch location, the Hantharwaddy Restaurant. It was a very nice, clean establishment with very good service and food


I had the opportunity to add a new beer to my list. Simply called Myanmar, it was an amber lager of 5% ABV and was definitely a good beer. Lunch included two beers. When I found the beers were 640 ml each, I only drank one and half of Kays. If I had both of mine and 1 ½ of hers, it would have been the equivalent of a six pack. I could have just cancelled the remainder of the tour!

One of our lovely servers.

This was our menu. It was delicious.

Our next stop was at a small local village where there was a weaving shop. Some of the workers certainly looked like child labor…





This matron was pleased to have her photo made.


These children were playing a game where the one who was “it” used a cane to try and touch the other players as they ran and jumped to avoid being caught. It appeared the cane must remain flat on the platform. They were obviously having a good time.

Kay purchased some cloth from this shop, which had weavers in the back

This shy lad preferred to watch us from a distance.

We stopped at yet another reclining Buddha. We elected to forgo another Buddha temple (which would involve removing our shoes and socks) and instead walked around the small village market. There was a truck/bus filling with passengers and venders were selling the equivalent of take-out meals for the travelers. This gentlemen who was proud to pose with his goods was selling roasted geese. There was also vendors of corn on the cob.


I suppose this take-out came with its own carrying handle.

Passengers waiting to load.

There were two young ladies sitting together and I asked if I could take their photo. This one was happy to have hers made but her friend literally ran from her chair and hid behind a counter.

After returning to our bus, I asked our guide what these were and was informed it was dried fish. It must be quite popular…

Our bus driver.

Another reclining Buddha. This one we could photograph without actually entering the temple area which would have involved taking off our shoes and socks.

Although Buddha was male, many of the depictions of Buddha show feminine characteristics. As I understood from two different guides, this is just artistic license because a feminine statue is deemed more pleasant to the eye. Can’t argue about that…

Kay again being forced to pose for a photo…

On the return trip we made a “happy room” stop at a nice restaurant, the only one within the next 30 miles or so. They were very welcoming and gracious, there were even “doormen” who would walk you the 30 feet from the door to the bus and shield you from the sun.


Kay being spoiled again.

Our last stop for the day was the Takkkyan War Cemetery where the graves and memorials of over 27,000 Allied soldiers who died in the Burma and Assam campaigns lie. Most of the soldiers were of British and British Colonies.


The LONG trip back to port took over three hours. At we again got the opportunity to get some nice photos of the traffic and street people.

This child was enjoying the traffic.

A street vendor.

As I said earlier, there are a lot of cell phones. After dark you could see many faces lit by the glow of their cell phone screen.

When we finally arrived back to the ship it was almost 8:30 PM and we had been gone for 12 hours with the majority of them riding the bus. We were tired…

Soon I will get the third and final installment of our Myanmar adventure posted.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

1 Response to Day 65 – Wednesday – Marh 11, 2015 – Rangoon, Myanmar

  1. says:

    After seeing these photos, I can only feel that you do not miss the lifestyle we live in the good old USA. How sad to see how some have to survive. Can’t thank you enough for all the pictures and story lines. We love seeing them every day. Be safe..
    M & R


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s